2/22/11

"A Good Book"  9" x 12"
This was my first attempt at painting from a live model and to add to that pressure, the model was my wife. I helped organize a "paint in" a few weeks ago and we had a wonderful turn out with around thirty artists painting inside and out. Along with setting up a few still lifes, I somehow convinced my wife to pose for us. I tried to make it as easy for her as possible, so I brought her favorite chair and book with us and posed her exactly the way she looks most nights. She did a great job. ( Thanks again Sweetie! )
I had no idea how my painting would turn out. In retrospect, I jumped in too fast and should have done more pre drawing. Seeing the photo I took side by side reveals my drawing errors, but I do think it looks like her, so that's good enough for me.
This was fun challenge and I hope to do it again. 

 My beautiful wife!

A portion of our group at work

5 comments:

  1. I'd say your drawing on this one is very good for the amount of time you had to work on it. I think it looks like a difficult pose because the chair is going one direction and your wife is going the other direction, quite a bit of foreshortening going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Doug. You are right about the pose and the foreshortening being tough on this one.

    I also had our good friend, Ann Hardy behind me knocking out another masterpiece. Talk about a tough act to follow. ;?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foreshortening pose is right, always a tough one, but you did a great job of capturing the moment. Ann Hardy can really add some fun to a group! The "paint in" sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should have tried the painting inside, although I have never drawn or painted a human in my life, I was too intimidated to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Royce, I've drawn plenty, but I haven't painted that many, especially a live one. You should give it a try. Painting a figure you can get away with suggesting detail and you don't have to flesh it completely out. See above ;?)

    ReplyDelete